Rhinoplasty reshapes the nose and also can improve nasal breathing.
Nasal surgery can:
- Reduce the enlarged humped nose (reduction rhinoplasty)
- Refine the flat, broad nose to increase the size or projection of the nose (augmentation rhinoplasty).
The best results in facial cosmetic surgery are natural, proportioned and consistent with the ethnic character. A natural balanced proportion is important for an individual feature such as the nose and equally it equal important to balance that feature with the face as a whole. Rhinoplasty can be performed on all age groups including teens who have reached full growth. If the nasal shape and breathing problem is caused by documented trauma, the surgery may be partly covered by insurance.
Reduction rhinoplasty makes the nose smaller, more refined and balanced by:
- Removing the bone and cartilage humps
- The bone of the nose may require either rasping or cutting to reduce its size and make it narrower
- Refining the cartilage tip.
- In most cases this involves removal or repositioning the tip cartilages. However, a smaller finer nasal tip can be achieved by adding cartilage to the tip of the nose rather than removing cartilage.
- Narrowing the width of the nose
- This may be achieved by moving the bone inward or by pulling the wide nasal base inward
- Reshaping nostrils
All noses are different and an individualized plan must be developed to achieve the desired form. I will take digital photos and show you examples of the various alternatives.