Rhinoplasty is often requested by Asians, Hispanics or blacks to create a narrower raised bridge and tip. The bridge of the nose and the tip of the nose are treated separately:
- The nasal bridge will be thinner, more projecting and more defined by adding an implant.
- Silicone or other synthetic implant is added the bridge. In some cases cartilage is used to add to the bridge.
- The nasal tip will be narrower and more projected by adding cartilage and or repositioning the natural tip cartilages.
- Projection is improved by placing a “strut” cartilage graft in the columella to push the tip forward.
- The patient’s own cartilage is also grafted to the tip of the noses as a safer, more natural method than using silicone implants.
- In cases where the nostrils flare, a segment of skin in the nostril may be removed.
We will discuss how to balance your nose in relation to other facial features. Digital photographs and computer imaging allow us to evaluate the appropriate techniques to achieve the desired shape
Surgery can be performed with local anesthesia under IV sedation or with general anesthesia. The surgery can either be performed with and “open technique” or a “closed technique”.